Complaints withdrawn in Halifax dispute; talks to resume

2017.01.31 | CWA Canada Local 30130 - Halifax Typographical Union

The Halifax Typographical Union and The Chronicle Herald have both withdrawn unfair labour practice complaints related to the year-long work stoppage at the newspaper.

The union that represents 55 striking newsroom workers withdrew its complaint today after the Herald agreed to back away from its bad faith bargaining positions.

“With the Herald changing its position, we have gained everything that we had hoped to achieve through the labour board hearing,” said Ingrid Bulmer, president of the CWA Canada Local. “The hearing became unnecessary.”

The hearing before the Nova Scotia Labour Board was scheduled to begin Monday and continue throughout the entire week.

“We withdrew the complaint to engender bargaining,” Bulmer said. “If the company goes back to its unfair bargaining practices, we reserve the right to refile the complaint.”

The Herald also withdrew its complaint about alleged disclosure of confidential information.

“The Herald accusation did not have any merit and was filed only in retaliation to our complaint,” Bulmer said.

The two sides will return to the bargaining table Tuesday. Bulmer said recent bargaining had been positive and she hopes that continued progress will lead to a deal in the near furture.

For further information, please contact:
Ingrid Bulmer, HTU president, 902-210-3465
Frank Campbell, HTU vice-president 902-497-0057
Martin O’Hanlon, CWA Canada president, 613-867-5090

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: